Sunday, March 17, 2013

AND THE GRAMMY GOES TO ...

Anyone other than Laura Eckroat!

On Friday, March 15, 2013, bright and early, Ashley and I got into my Dodge Avenger, got us some Starbucks, filled up the tank, and drove to Mustang, OK to visit Tate Publishing. I was recording the audio day for my newest book, What's In The Corner? A Muffin "Tail".  Recording the audio is actually quite easy; even though the first time I did it, I was so incredibly nervous I thought I might pass out in the little booth! The audio director, Travis, places you into one of those little recording booths, the book is displayed on the screen, you talk (or in my case) sing into the microphone. This time I recorded it as if I was doing the reading LIVE! So the cadence slows down in parts, and a few words are spoken, not sung. If you feel you made a mistake, or want it to sound differently, or if you cough or sneeze, you just hit a key on the keyboard and start again at the beginning of the line. Technology is pretty cool!
I often get asked how I came up with the tunes? I honestly don't know how or why I came up with songs for my last two books; it kind of just happened (I'm channeling my inner Celine Dion). But I really feel these books are so much more fun as songs, and it works perfectly when reading/singing them to younger children. Children learn songs quickly, and at book events where I read, they always join right in! I still remember the School House Rock songs, and when I was in third grade, my teacher taught us the Preposition Song .... things like that just stick with you!
If you are a teacher or librarian and would like me to come "sing" to your favorite little ones, feel free to contact me here or email me at thelifeofbud@aol.com. Reading to children is my absolute FAVORITE part of being an author! I also have Book Buddy Bundles available for teachers at discounted prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment