Wednesday, July 8, 2015

MEET AUTHOR - KISHMA ANTHONY

Kishma is the Author of -- Dylan's Big Surprise at the Doctor

Kishma reached out to me after visiting my web-site ... she asked if I would take a look at her book ... she sent me a copy and after reading it I thought it'd be a great addition to my library at school and I will use it for our Community Helper Expedition ... there are not many children's books out there about nurses.  This is a sweet book about Dylan and his "fear" of going to the doctor to get shots. It highlights the importance of caring and passionate nurses and their impact in children's visits to  the doctor!

Here is a little about KISHMA:

Kishma at the Decatur Book Festival -- Dressed as Nurse Jennie
   Kishma is from the beautiful Caribbean island of St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands. Kishma participated in several plays as a child in her school's Communication Arts Showcase Program. She now lives in the Atlanta, Georgia area and has worked as a childcare provider. In December, 2014 Kishma received her Masters in Healthcare Administration. In her spare time she enjoys having fun, spending quality time with family and close friends, and writing about Dylan and his experiences.

Where did you get the idea about Dylan? 
    I was sitting in a car repair shop and was inspired by a friend who saw a picture of me and thought that I had an authors "look".  Also, I was a pre-nursing major and I, too, was afraid of shots as a child. Dylan and Nurse Jennie's character aligns with my jovial personality as well.     

What kind of books do you read?
    Biographical memoirs, romance and of course children's books!!    

What was one of your favorite author moments?
    Sitting in a crowd at the Decatur Book Festival dressed up like Nurse Jennie reading and interacting with the kids!! Also, signing my books!!     

Are you working on other books?
    Yes, I am currently working on a book titled, Dylan and the Big Toothbrush.     

How can people find out more about you and your book(s)?
     Dylan's Big Surprise at the Doctor  on Amazon
    
     To find out more on Facebook click on the following link
       Not So Scary Shots   
If you are a teacher and discuss Community Helpers -- this is a great book to add to your library.

If your child is a bit fearful of going to the doctor -- it's a great book to begin the discussion of what happens at the doctor and how nurses are there to help make your visit less scary ....

A great addition to this book are the DISCUSS WITH DYLAN questions at the end of the book and are perfect for parents to use to discuss an upcoming or follow-up doctor's visit ... ALSO -- teachers can use the questions for writing prompts or an opening dialog about Nurses as Community Helpers!

Thanks KISHMA for allowing me to read your book and share with my friends!

1 comment: