Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Music to your Ears ...

Kristin and I 21 years ago!
She was about ready to give birth &
I was 6 months pregnant - digging my
Pea In The Pod shirt - YIKES!
I met Kristin Hillegonds many moons ago (see the picture! and yes, Kristin agreed that I could use it in this post!) We both worked for Amoco in Chicago and we became fast friends. We spent numerous lunch hours together and many good times together outside of work! We've kept in contact, as best we could, for 20+ years. I am proud to call her a friend and am excited to help her announce the opening of her music studio .... Revolution Music!

Since leaving Amoco, Kristin has become an accomplished harpist and I am very proud of her. The music the trio make together is heavenly and hers is the only CD I have played in my car! I know Kristin makes a wonderful music teacher and I hope you can check out her CD's and, if you live in NW Indiana stop by her music studio, and possibly attend her wonderful Christmas Event she performs in with her trio and other musicians and singers.

Tell us a little about yourself
KRISTIN!
  
I have lived in Northwest Indiana most of my life. I am married and am the mother of three sons. Two are currently attending college and one is in high school. I have been married for 24 years. I have been playing some sort of instrument since I was 6 years old.



When did you start playing the harp?
  I studied harp privately as an adult, in my 20's.

Why did you choose the harp?
  I was always fascinated with the harp even as a child. The sheer beauty of the instrument itself and the calming sound it delivers.   (I agree with you Kristin! I love playing your music during creative time in my classroom - kids love it and it is so soothing!)

Do you play any other instruments?
  I've played piano since I was in Kindergarten. I took lessons through high school. I started on the saxophone in band but then I decided to play clarinet and bass clarinet instead. Saxophone seemed more of a boy instrument so that's why I switched! :0)   I played in the marching band and wind ensemble in high school and enjoyed every minute of it!

Tell us about your group? What kinds of music do you play, where do you play? Names of your CD's ...
The Silverwood Trio
  I started a group called the Silverwood Trio with a violinist after we were brought together to perform at a wedding. We liked our sound, we worked well together and it just kind of took off from there. The group consists of a harp, flute, and violin. Our sound is unique. We have been performing all over the Northwest Indiana and the Chicagoland area for over 14 years now. We play primarily for weddings and cocktail hours, but we also perform for corporate events and parties, especially Christmas parties. We play all sorts of genres of music. Classical, contemporary, Christian, pop. Stephen does a lot of arranging for the group and I'm starting to dabble in it a little as well. We have also been producing a Christmas concert for the last five years that has grown in popularity; it is called Come to The Stable. Several local musicians and vocalists join us to celebrate Christ's birth! The Silverwood Trio has also recorded two CD's; This Christmastide and Be Thou My Vision, a hymns CD dedicated to our grandparents and their walk of faith. One goal we have is to produce a Lullaby CD. The Silverwood Trio is not just a group of professionals, but we are close friends and I love them both. We work well together and I think it comes shining through in our music.
       
Click here to learn more about The Silverwood Trio

What is your new venture?
   My new venture is opening a music school in St. John, IN! It is called Revolution Music. I am teaching a method of piano through a company called Simply Music. I am a certified teacher and I love it! It is a played based method that has students of all ages (not just children) playing great sounding music from their very first lessons using two hands! We delay the reading process for a time so the student will have 30 - 50 songs in their repertoire before they even read a single note! I also teach a program for 4 to 6 year olds called Play A Story. We will also be offering flute, violin, and harp lessons. We have some more studio space to fill so we will be offering more instruments in the near future.

Click here to find out more about Kristin's Revolution Music School
 
Revolution Music
9209 East Wicker Avenue
St. John, IN
You can contact Kristin at 219-613-3973 or kristin@revolutionmusicschool.com

Are you excited to own your own business?
  I am super excited to own my own business. I am blessed that my studio has grown and couldn't be opening without a committed student and parent base. I am thankful they were open to this new method of learning. The parents are thrilled with the results and most do not have to remind their children to practice! I love that!

What challenges do you think this will bring?
  The challenges I feel will be having to be responsible for the business end of owning your own business. Marketing, hiring teachers that are a good fit for this school, managing growth and promoting and maintaining the studio. My passion is for my students and developing their skills so I'd rather be teaching! :0)

THANKS KRISTIN!  I am so glad you were able to do an interview for me and my web-site! I miss you and hope I can see you soon!!! We both have come a LONG way since that preggers picture! Good luck with your new music school!
                                                                      
                                                                                                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment